AFL 20-31 From the California Department of Public Health
March 28, 2020
TO: General Acute Care Hospitals (GACHs)
SUBJECT: Coronavirus Disease (COVID-19) Daily Reporting
AUTHORITY: Proclamation of Emergency
All Facilities Letter (AFL) Summary
This AFL notifies GACHs of the need to have daily updates on the number and status of COVID-19 patients and equipment availability to ensure California has the information necessary to respond to the COVID-19 outbreak.
The California Department of Public Health (CDPH) requests that the following information be reported no later than 12:00 PM Pacific Time daily:
- The number of staffed and available (not in use) intensive care unit (ICU) beds
- The number of staffed and available (not in use) medical/surgical beds
- The number of ventilated patients
- The number of remaining ventilators available
- The number of hospitalized COVID-19 positive patients (Total number of COVID positive patients including any in the medical/surgical, emergency department (ED), ICU or other parts of the hospital)
- The number of hospitalized COVID-19 suspected patients (Total number of COVID suspected patients including any in the medical/surgical, ED, ICU or other parts of the hospital)
- The number of COVID-19 positive patients in the ICU only (should be a subset of the total COVID positive number reported under question #5);
- The number of COVID-19 suspected patients in the ICU only (should be a subset of the total COVID positive number reported under question #6);
CDPH has worked in partnership with the California Hospital Association (CHA) to develop the COVID-19 Tracking Tool to ensure we are collecting important patient and resource information during the COVID-19 pandemic.
Please submit your daily report at this link daily tracking tool.
Instructions for the tool are available here.
Use of this tool will take the place of daily reporting to CDPH district offices, related to the information specified above. All other reporting requirements to CDPH district offices will continue using the standard reporting process. CDPH may revise the types of information collected by issuing subsequent AFLs.
For purposes of this AFL the following definitions apply:
- “COVID suspected” means, persons with symptoms of COVID-19 or persons who are asymptomatic that have been exposed to a lab-confirmed case of COVID-19.
- “COVID positive” means, an individual who has at least one respiratory specimen that tested positive for the virus that causes COVID-19 by a CDC laboratory, state or local public health laboratory, or commercial laboratory using FDA-validated COVID-19 NAA.
If you have any questions about this AFL, please contact the CDPH Duty Officer at CHCQDutyOfficer@cdph.ca.gov.
Original signed by Heidi W. Steinecker
Heidi W. Steinecker