Citing high COVID-19 vaccination rates for residents and staff and proclaiming that “continued restrictions on this vital resident’s right [visitation] are no longer necessary,” the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) has restored the right of residents to visitors of their choosing whenever they want. The new CMS guidance prohibits facilities from:
– limiting the frequency of a residents’ visits,
– limiting the duration of a residents’ visits,
– limiting the number of a residents’ visitors,
– confining visits to particular hours of the day, or
– requiring advance scheduling of visits.Additionally, the guidance clarifies that visitors must be allowed during any COVID-19 outbreak or outbreak investigation.
While the guidance maintains recommendations regarding infection prevention during visitation, the bottom line is each “resident must be allowed to receive visitors as he/she chooses.”