AFL 20-55 From the California Department of Public Health
June 2, 2020
TO: Skilled Nursing Facilities (SNFs)
SUBJECT: SNF Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) Baseline Testing Reporting
All Facilities Letter (AFL) Summary
This AFL requires SNFs to report the results of COVID-19 baseline testing to the California Department of Public Health (CDPH). Baseline testing is recommended for all residents and healthcare personnel (HCP) for any SNF that does not currently have a positive case.
As a strategy for the SNF mitigation plan, CDPH recommends SNFs perform COVID-19 baseline testing for all residents and HCP in any facility that does not currently have a positive case. Baseline testing is necessary to detect cases quickly, stop transmission, and implement effective infection prevention and control actions. All baseline testing must be completed no later than June 30, 2020. CDPH will also accept results for those facilities that completed their baseline testing in May.
When a facility completes their baseline testing, they must report the following to their respective district office (DO) and CHCQ_PIM@cdph.ca.gov:
- Facility name and facility identification number
- Date(s) of baseline testing
- The name of the lab that completed testing
- Number of HCP in the facility
- Number of HCP tested
- Number of HCP that refused testing
- Number of HCP tested positive
- Number of HCP tested negative
- Number of residents in the facility
- Number of residents tested
- Number of residents that refused testing
- Number of residents tested positive
- Number of residents tested negative
Please include “SNF baseline testing” in the subject line of the email.
For any resident or HCP testing positive for COVID-19, the facility must report to the local health officer immediately by telephone (Title 17 CCR 2500(j)).
For more information on SNF COVID-19 testing recommendations, please refer to AFL 20-53.
If you have any questions about this AFL, please contact your respective DO.
Original signed by Heidi W. Steinecker
Heidi W. Steinecker