AFL 20-57.4 From the California Department of Public Health
March 16, 2022
TO: All Facilities
SUBJECT: Suspension of Professional Certification Requirements for Home Health Aide Training Programs (HHA Training Programs)
(This AFL supersedes AFL 20-57.3)
AUTHORITY: Proclamation of a State of Emergency (PDF)
Executive Orders N-39-20 (PDF), N-08-21 (PDF), N-12-21 (PDF), N-21-21 (PDF), and N-04-22 (PDF)
All Facilities Letter (AFL) Summary
- This AFL notifies all HHA Training Programs of a temporary waiver of specified statutory and regulatory requirements for HHA Training Programs due to the state of emergency related to the COVID-19 outbreak.
- In accordance with Executive Order N-04-22 (PDF) issued February 25, 2022, this AFL notifies all facilities that the temporary waiver of specified statutory and regulatory requirements is extended until June 30, 2022.
Pursuant to the Governor’s Executive Order N-39-20 (PDF) related to the COVID-19 state of emergency, the Director of the California Department of Public Health (CDPH) may waive any of the professional certification requirements and amend scopes of practice of Chapter 8 of Division 2 of the Health and Safety Code (HSC) and accompanying regulations with respect to home health aides. Any waiver shall include alternative measures that, under the circumstances, protects public health and safety.
Due to ongoing circulation of more transmissible variants of the SARS-CoV-2 virus and the continuing incidence of COVID-19 in California, and in compliance with Executive Order N-04-22 (PDF), the temporary waivers contained in this AFL have been extended and will expire June 30, 2022.
Initial Theory Training
- Title 22 of the California Code of Regulations (CCR) section 74747(c): An HHA Training Program may provide up to 75 hours of required classroom training through an online or distance learning format and may begin providing online or distance learning training immediately upon electronic submission of notification to CDPH.
Effective June 30, 2022, the waiver allowing a facility to provide up to 75 hours of classroom training through an online or distance learning format will expire.
As a result of this temporary waiver, HHA Training Programs do not need to submit individual program flexibility requests for the waiver specified above until June 30, 2022; however, HHA Training Programs and nursing facilities are still required to notify CDPH of changes to core curriculum, training hours, program staff, or contracted services. Notification shall be submitted to the Healthcare Workforce Branch, Training Program Review Unit (TPRU) via email at TPRU@cdph.ca.gov.
HHA Training Programs may also apply for waivers of other requirements not specified above, including alternative ways to conduct clinical training such as simulation or laboratory return demonstration. Requests for specific emergency waivers must be submitted to Healthcare Workforce Branch, CNA Review/eLearning & Licensing Section via email at TPRU@cdph.ca.gov using the CDPH form 5000A (PDF).
If you have any questions about this AFL, please contact the Healthcare Workforce Branch, CNA Review/eLearning & Licensing Section via email at TPRU@cdph.ca.gov. Please include reference to AFL 20-57.4: Suspension of Professional Certification Requirements for HHA Training Programs in the subject line of the email.
Original signed by Cassie Dunham
- Proclamation of a State of Emergency (PDF)
- Executive Order N-39-20 (PDF)
- Executive Order N-08-21 (PDF)
- Executive Order N-12-21 (PDF)
- Executive Order N-21-21 (PDF)
- Executive Order N-04-22 (PDF)
- CDPH form 5000A (PDF)